Martha Lugo – Candidate for Aurora City Council
A Voice for The People – Martha is a resident and homeowner of Aurora since 2000.
A native of El Paso, TX, Martha was born to a Mexican immigrant mother and Puerto Rican father. Her mother was a janitor and her father was an Army sergeant/disabled veteran who served in both the Korean conflict and Vietnam. Her job as a probation officer brought her to Colorado from her native state of Texas. She served the 18th Judicial District Probation Department (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln Counties) as a sworn officer from 2000 – 2010.
A public servant with a passion for the beauty of diversity.
As she’s continued her journey of public service, she is currently serving the city of Aurora as a commissioner on both the Human Relations Commission and the newly formed Immigrant and Refugee Commission. She serves on the executive board of the Aurora Welcome Center (AWC) as board chair – the AWC is a program that assists immigrants and refugees with their integration process in the metro area. She is actively involved in the community and social justice is one of Martha’s greatest passions. She is proud to call the city of Aurora her home because of the richness of the city that embraces people from many different ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. She is also proud to live in a city that has been named the safest large city in Colorado as well as one of the top safest in the nation!
Martha is a Ph.D. candidate majoring in organizational development and leadership.
She is currently writing her dissertation and will finish her Ph.D. this year. Her dissertation surrounds and encompasses the need for comprehensive immigration reform and its effects on labor law violations as they relate to all immigrants. She holds a master of arts degree in counseling and a bachelor of science degree in social psychology.
Martha is a running for city council because:
She is a born leader. Martha has the courage it takes to speak for the needs of others – hence A Voice for The People. She is passionate about the well-being of the greater good and is an advocate for equity. She is a person who strives to be a good steward of the hard-earned revenue that all residents pay in taxes. Martha was a teenage mother and truly understands the struggles of those who face adversity in their lives. She is a Progressive and once elected, will strive to
- Put the needs of Aurora residents first.
- Bring socially responsible jobs to Aurora while continually cultivating small business to follow suit.
- Improve recycling initiatives.
- Improve community access to local government and services.
- Continually engage our community to ensure that their voice is ever-present.
- Improve roads to include more fluid traffic.
- Improve services for the homeless population in Aurora.
- Make housing more affordable.
- Increase our sense of community.
- Unify our communities.
- Continually engage and protect our vulnerable communities – including but not limited to those with disabilities, the elderly, veterans, children, immigrants and refugees, Millennials, and those who are LGBT.
- Continually support community policing efforts of the Aurora Police Department.
- Advocate for racial and gender equity.
- Work diligently to support all progressive ideas that benefit the people of the great city of Aurora.
In her free time, Martha enjoys:
Serving her community through activism, volunteering, and ministry. She nourishes her recreation needs by playing softball.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MarthaLugoforAuroraCityCouncil
Twitter Page: https://www.twitter.com/marthaforaurora
CrowdPac Fundraising Page:
Mailing address: Martha Lugo for Aurora, PO Box 470802, Aurora, CO 80047
Email address: email@example.com